If you’re into beauty and personal care,
You may have come across Nair.
Nair is a brand of hair removing creams made by Church & Dwight. They provide an alternative to trimmers, clippers, shavers, and they help you toss away those razor blades. However, how efficient are they? Are they a good substitute, or are they just another bottled disappointment?
Well, time to find out.
Because it is convenient to use, Nair is better than shaving. It does not involve the up and down of shaving, so it cannot give you razor bumps. Also, you can’t cut yourself, so the risk of bleeding out during hair removal is averted.
But it’s not all roses with Nair.
Some buyers have complained that it burns and causes redness. That’s probably because it’s purely chemical, and your skin is quite sensitive. If you are pale or have pale skin, your redness will show more, see this:
But, others have showered the product with a lot of compliments. They say that people with thick hair will enjoy how it removes all hair, albeit the slight redness.
So, to Nair or not to Nair?
In this article, you will learn everything you need to get started with Nair. You’ll get all the deets and the exact skin areas that Nair works best. And before you exit, you’ll know if Nair is good or bad for you in the long term.
Nair: The Deets
In technical terms, Nair is a depilatory.
MenNStuff 101: A depilatory is a gel, lotion, or cream that removes hair from any body area.
How you use Nair and how it works
First, you spread some of it on your hairy skin. Then, once it touches your body, Nair starts dissolving the hair shaft. That is contrary to the common belief that it penetrates below the skin and breaks down your hair root.
1. Nair deals with keratin, which is the protein that makes up the hair. So, it breaks the keratin chemical bonds, thereby weakening the strands.
2. After 3 minutes of application, your skin may feel a little heated up. However, don’t wipe the cream away if the recommended time hasn’t passed. Instead, take the tiny pinch and only brush off the hair when your timer rings.
What Nair Is Made Of
Nair contains a base and an acidic salt. So, it could have sodium hydroxide plus calcium or potassium salt from thioglycolic acid.
Nothing important, just chemical.
On top of that, it may also contain:
2. Fragrance (or perfume)
Where Nair Works
Most people use it for legs, but it can also clear facial hair, pubic hair, and stubble. But, ensure you check the specific purpose of the product you buy. If it is a leg-only product, may God help you if you use it on your head.
MenNStuff 101: Nair is not for your nose hair, and neither should it come near your eyebrows.
Does Nair Last Longer Than Shaving?
They last the same time because they do the same thing: removing hair shafts and not the roots. So, creaming is just like shaving, except that no blade is involved.
MenNStuff 101: If you have been shaving every fortnight, you will likely be using Nair every fortnight too.
Is It Okay To Use Nair On Private Parts?
Nair is okay for your pubes, but you should apply it with these ideas in mind:
1. If you have any abrasions or cuts, avoid using Nair.
2. Before you apply the hair removal cream, trim your hair down. If you spread Nair on long, thick hair, it will be difficult to remove it. Then, you will end up burning your skin and causing it to become red.
3. Before going all-in with Nair, test a small patch onto the pubic area. That way, you will have an idea of how everything will eventually look.
4. To avoid developing any infections, keep the cream away from your rectal area or your vaginal canal. To do that effectively, rub some Vaseline in those sensitive areas, which will create a barrier for the Nair cream.
5. After the hair removal time passes, use a soft washcloth to wipe off the Nair cream. Using a spatula may render the experience painful for you.
6. If you get severe burns or itching, wash the area with cold, running water. If it persists, talk to a dermatologist for a pain-relieving ointment.
Does Hair Grow Back Thicker After Nair?
Nair products do not affect how your hair will turn out. Even though it uses chemical action to remove hair, it doesn’t affect growth. Your hair will still come up the same way, and it won’t be longer or shorter than usual.
Why Does Nair Smell So Bad?
The chemical components.
Some people may be thrown off by how strong Nair smells. That’s because it contains harsh chemicals that combine to dissolve hair.
But it all depends on the Nair product you buy. Some are scented, which helps mask the chemical smell.
MenNStuff 101: When you go shopping, check if the Nair product you’re buying is perfumed.
Do You Use Nair Before Or After Shower?
That way, you will not risk rubbing the cream into other parts of your body. But, if you want to do it before, follow these tips:
1. After you have applied it for the recommended time, wait for at least a minute.
2. Then, wipe it off and hop into the shower.
3. Before you start your bath, wash your hands. That way, you won’t have to worry about the cream getting into your eyes.
How Often Should You Nair?
Every time your hair regrows
From Nair’s FAQ section, it should not be less than 72 hours between applications. So, every 1 or 2 weeks of a suitable frequency.
Will Nair Permanently Remove Hair?
No. Nair is not a long-term hair reduction method.
That also goes for other depilatory creams.
Hair removal creams work by dissolving your hair shaft. They do not go under the skin, meaning that they don’t affect growth. If you want permanent hair removal, you can try laser hair removal.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Hair Removal Cream?
After all the Nair talk, it is time to highlight some cons of using depilatory creams:
1. They make users feel uncomfortable, and they irritate the skin.
2. Because of their chemical components, they are susceptible to producing odors. That may be a turnoff for people who are sensitive to smell.
3. You risk developing ingrown hair.
4. It may burn your skin, mainly if you use it in particular areas like the pubes.
Is Hair Removal Cream Bad For Private Parts?
Yes, if you apply the product close to the part.
If you want to use hair removal cream below your waist, you must be extra careful. The slightest contact with your intimate areas may backfire on your face, and you don’t want that to happen.
Does Hair Removal Cause More Hair Growth?
Hair growth is genetic and biological, so don’t expect some cream to change that reality. If you wish to grow your hair, how about you try any of these hair growth products:
Those are our editor’s best picks, so no need to second guess as you shop 😉.
Is Nair Bad For You Long Term?
As an alternative to shaving, Nair ensures that your skin does not develop bumps. That means your body will feel smoother, and it won’t have any razor cuts.
However, it may react aggressively with sensitive skin, which is why many beauticians vouch for shaving. If you leave Nair on such skin for too long, you may experience:
4. And general body weakness.
To that point, you know everything about Nair. It is one of the best-selling hair removal cream brands, together with Veet and Nads. As a shaving alternative, it helps you get a smoother feel on your skin without the buzzing and trimming. So, if you can, shop for the cream and try it out. Here are links to some of the top-rated Nair products on Amazon:
And that was all the Nair we had!
If you enjoyed reading, share this article as far as you can. Also, drop your feedback in the boxes below, and the editor will get back as soon as he can. Finally, as you exit, don’t forget to check out these exciting topics:
Thanks, and we will see you in the next post!