Last Updated on October 28, 2021 by Bob De Generio
You met this Jessica girl, and she stunned you. Her eyes were sparkly and her smile immaculate, but you couldn’t take your mind off her head. When she dropped the hoodie, her hair was shaven on the sides. All the while, you kept wondering why she made that decision.
Well, girls cut their side hair because of a plethora of reasons, and they include:
2. Religious commitment (devotion)
6. Taking a mental break
7. Staying clean
8. To run their fingers through
And the list goes on because shaving for girls is very personal. Since the hair has been a longstanding symbol of beauty, it’s easy to understand why you would be asking this question. Not to worry, though, because this is the article for you.
In this post, we have covered all the related questions. You’ll know why women find this shaving style tasty and why there’s a shift in the norm. In the end, you’ll have all the answers, and no side cut will be left unturned.
Let’s get after it!
What Is It Called When A Girl Shaves The Side Of Her Head?
Partial undercuts or floppy Mohawks
From 2010, side shaving for women has propelled itself into the mainstream. Females have seen celebrities and friends taking on the trend, and like a wave, they’ve been swept away.
So, 11 years later, it’s not surprising to see a female with a floppy Mohawk or a shaven side.
What Does A Woman Shaving Her Head Symbolize?
For many women, a floppy Mohawk, partial undercut, or a fully-shaven head symbolizes freedom.
They say it helps them feel their natural self, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Shaving opens your scalp up, meaning that your skin breathes better and sensational experiences are livelier.
What Does Side Shave Mean?
A side shave means cutting around half of your hair, or around 75% of it.
Although it may come in different designs, a side cut will include a styled hairdo. Often, the area that remains unshaved makes the shaved area look vibrant.
Other women will hide the shaved area, which is called the hidden undercut style. That is common for whoever wants to maintain a modern, corporate look with 50% of their hair gone.
What Does It Mean If A Girl Has An Undercut?
Although girls have different reasons, undercuts are merely ways of switching up their looks. Some of them are naturally adventurous, so they set goals to don a new hairstyle. Others, well, want to communicate their state of mind.
It all goes down to the individual girl. She has her reasons, and it may be an exciting journey once you ask.
Who Started The Half-shaved Head Trend?
Alice Dellal back in 2010.
She was a model, and once people spotted her with the undercut, they took after it. They started buzzing their hair, and around 11 years later, it is a top-running trend in the fashion world.
It is important to note that Skrillex, a man, was the most popular male to don this haircut at around the same time.
Do Girls Like Shaving Their Heads?
Women who have shaven partially or fully say they love it.
1. Some are surprised at how liberating it can feel. This is because hair has been a beauty standard, and cutting it down is stepping out of the fashion spectrum. No one can talk about how beautiful (or ugly) your hair looks because it’s not there.
2. Others say that aside or total haircut moves attention into other areas, especially the face. People begin to see how beautiful lips and eyes are.
3. The confidence and power that come with shaving are also unmatched. Although you may feel nervous at first, you’ll like what you see once the barber is done.
4. Other girls who love shaving do it because long hair is too needy. So, they throw off the maintenance costs with a buzzing session at the hair salon.
How Do You Keep (maintain) Your Sides Shaved?
To ensure that the cut looks fresh, trim the sides every 2-3 weeks. You’ll need a pair of scissors, a comb, and an extra pair of hands. First, a friend should do the scissoring job well, and after that, you can comb the longer side.
If that seems hectic, you can go back to your barber. He’ll refresh your cut and leave you feeling new again.
What To Know Before Shaving Your Sides
You wouldn’t want to buzz your hair before going through these tips:
1. You don’t have to shave all your hair
You have an option to do a half-shaved hairstyle, so take it on if you want.
2. Hiding a side shave is easy
When buzzing your hair, ensure the unshaved part is long. That way, you’ll have enough strands to cover the shaved part.
3. These days, shaving is fashionable and may even be considered professional
You may not have to worry about losing your job. Side cuts have been gaining acceptability over the years, and it’s only fair that you do what you want.
4. If people around you are conservative, they’ll call you out as being ‘weird.’
Yes. If you come from a long line of laid-back, unexposed people, prepare to be weirded out. Conservative and traditional ideals expect you to wear your hair like any other woman, so expect backlash.
5. Your hair will grow back
If you’re unhappy with the results, you’ll only need to wait. Depending on how quickly your hair grows, it won’t be long before you have your old look back.
Are Side Shaved In Style?
Yes. Out there, you’ll find over 50 ways of shaving your hair stylishly. For example, the top part can have:
1. Relaxed, dyed braids
2. Cute buns
4. A pony
5. Blonde curls
Also, the undercut can be:
2. Butterfly design
3. Razor cut design
4. Faded nape
5. Just small, if you don’t want to go all out.
For more styles, you can check these 50 trendy shaved hairstyles for women in 2021.
How Do Girls Get Their Undercut?
Although side shaving happens differently, here are some guidelines that girls follow:
1. The girls first choose the details for their style, either deep or subtle. For those with little hair, their undercut should be shorter. That way, the shaven and unshaven parts will have clear contrasts.
2. Then, they determine the area where the undercut will run. Aside from the length of the cut, its size is essential. If it’s bigger, the overall hairstyle will be bolder. However, if you’re only trying things out, keep the area reasonably small.
3. Next, the girls partition their hair in front of a mirror, especially if they’re doing the undercut by themselves.
They pull up the top section.
Then, they create a straight part right above their neck’s nape.
Finally, they place a headband below the top section as a guide.
4. Lastly, they cut the hair in this fashion:
They scissor off the major length.
Then, they buzz the sides using an appropriate blade.
At last, they finish the cut with a shorter blade.
How Do You Know If You Can Pull Off An Undercut?
If you’re not sure whether your hair is for the blade, talk to your barber. As an expert in the field, they will evaluate your strands and see if you’re a candidate.
Ask the barber to be honest with their feedback. You wouldn’t like to walk around with a shaven head that looks like a joke.
Should I Get An Undercut With Long Hair?
Yes, if that’s what you want.
With long hair, a longer undercut will work best for you. But to be sure, talk to an expert hairdresser. They’ll give you their comments, tips, tricks, pros, and cons.
Now, you know everything in and around girls’ side shaves. If you’re a man, you see why some women go for it and how it makes them feel. Now, you understand why Jessica looks the way she does. And isn’t she beautiful? Tell her!
If you’re a girl, you’re ready to take on a side shave. You have all the deets, so you’ll steer clear of the hair agenda swiftly. Whatever you choose, talk to a pro hairdo expert. Indeed, you wouldn’t want a side-shaving mission to backfire on you, right?
And that’s pretty much it!
If you enjoyed the read, be sure to leave a comment below. Your feedback goes a long way into improving the editor’s work. And since you like hair and shaving, how about you look at these related topics?
Toodles for now, and see you in the next one!