Last Updated on September 3, 2023 by Reiner Chase
Little people shop for clothes at various places, including regular retail stores with petite sections, custom tailors, and online retailers specializing in petite or short sizes. Clothing lines such as Breeze Clothing, Kath. D. Woods, One Stone Clothing, and many more, produce clothes for little people.
Jump To A Section
What Are The Challenges Met By Little People When Shopping For Clothes?
Shopping for clothes can be a daunting task for anyone, but it can present unique challenges for little people. From finding the right fit to dealing with misconceptions, there are several hurdles that they face in their search for the perfect outfit. In this article, we will explore some of the challenges that little people encounter when shopping for clothes.
- Limited options: Many mainstream clothing brands have limited selections for individuals who are smaller in stature. It can be frustrating for little people to find clothes that are not only stylish but also suitable for their size. Often, they have to settle for ill-fitting garments or resort to shopping in specialized stores that cater specifically to their needs.
- Finding the right proportions: Little people often struggle with finding clothes that fit them well in terms of length, width, and overall proportions. While some may need smaller sizes, others might require adjustments in different areas, such as sleeve length or pant inseam. Achieving the perfect fit can be particularly challenging when shopping off the track.
- Dealing with misconceptions: Society’s misconceptions about little people can also make shopping a difficult experience. Store employees or fellow shoppers may assume that they are shopping for children or ask inappropriate questions. These encounters can be uncomfortable and even hurtful, adding an emotional burden to an already challenging task.
- Limited access to specialized clothing: While there are specialized stores and online retailers that cater to small people, the accessibility of these options can vary. Depending on their location or financial situation, many little people may not have easy access to these resources. This can further restrict their choices and make finding appropriate clothing options even more complicated.
- The need for alterations: Little people often have to rely heavily on alterations to ensure that their clothes fit properly. This can add additional expenses and time-consuming visits to tailors. Alterations may be required for both the length and width of garments, making it difficult to find clothes that fit well straight off the rack.
- Struggling with self-confidence: Finding clothes that fit well can have a significant impact on self-confidence, regardless of one’s size. Little people may struggle with self-esteem issues when they can’t find clothes that make them feel comfortable and confident. It is important for retailers and designers to create inclusive options that cater to individuals of all heights and sizes.
The 6 Best Clothing Lines For Little People’s Clothes
Kathy started her venture with her husband Dana after years of frustration for not finding the right fit. Before Kathy became an entrepreneur, she was a preschool teacher. She is a woman of faith and integrity, and she has a vision of changing the little community’s lives.
Kathy faced first-hand challenges when she saw her mother struggling to stitch every article of clothing to fit her. She faced difficulties finding fitting clothes for her as an adult, and it was too expensive to always go to a tailor. In 2010, the couple turned their challenge into an opportunity.
Kathy is the first African-American Little Person fashion designer and is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. The couple is not designers by trade; therefore, they immediately became Fashion Business Inc. (FBI), an organization devoted to mentoring fashion entrepreneurs founded by France Harder.
An online women’s clothing company sells clothes for little adult people. The company is passionate about providing beautiful and high-quality ready-to-wear inexpensive, classy, and perfectly proportioned clothes.
The management is confident in offering an exquisite fit for all body types, and the clothing is of modern times and embodies modern concepts. The company sells denim jeans, wrap dresses, blouses, trousers, and blazers. It has a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram page that allows consumers to buy from there.
It has a website too where people purchase their clothes. If you wish to buy short people’s clothes from the website, visit www.kathydwoodsstore.com.
One Stone Clothing is a line that manufactures for special people. The clothes are for those born with Dwarfism, especially Achondroplasia or Short Limb Dwarfism. The clothes are made according to the consumer’s specifications; hence, they will not have to buy something that won’t fit.
Tyler is the founder of One Stone Clothing and has struggled for over twenty years with Achondroplasia. He decided to start the business when he bought three pairs of basketball shorts for $6 and spent $50 to get them altered to his size.
Tyler launched the business in 2019. It sells men’s clothing such as shirts, t-shirts, and pullovers.
Nesma Yahia is the founder of Breeze Clothing. Breeze Clothing is the first Egyptian Fashion Brand for people of short stature. She launched her first fashion line for veiled and non-veiled short people. She decided to model her brand, including stunning evening wear designs, kaftans, blouses, skirts, and everyday dresses.
Yahia solved a problem that she faced and made her dream come true. She launched the business in September 2020 at the age of twenty. She studied at Mansoura University and was the first dwarf model in Egypt.
Her goal is to make clothing for little people more accessible and help them be more confident in their height. She buys the materials, designs the outfits, and stitches them by a tailor. The clothing isn’t limited by a certain age group and features options for women who wear hijabs and those who don’t.
The brand also has articles of clothing for men. The designs do not show too much skin and don’t make the consumer appear too short. Consumers can buy from her Facebook and Instagram page.
The owner of River Island is Bernard Lewis who started his business in 1948. However, his first business wasn’t the clothing line but selling fruits and vegetables to the local people in London. Within no time, he changed his business and sold wool for knitting.
Since the business did well, his three brothers joined him and expanded. The brothers named the company Lewis Separates and had five different stores across London.
By 1955, there were nine stores, and the business was growing. In the 1960s, the brothers renamed the company Chelsea Girl. It was the first fashion boutique chain in the U.K. and sold items for females only.
In the 1970s, two brothers left Chelsea Girl and started their business. Bernard and David were handling Chelsea Girl. David then started his operation and opened property and investment companies and named it Lewis Trust Group. Bernard later expanded his business and opened Concept Man in 1982, selling clothing and accessories for men.
In 1988 Bernard and David merged Concept Man and Chelsea Girl to make one store, hence named it River Island. By the 1990s, the store became famous, and in 1993, the brothers opened the first River Island store in Ireland. Over time they opened stores in Russia, Poland, and selected areas of the Middle East.
In 2010, River Island introduced the kids’ section and made the brand even more famous. The kids’ section did not only have clothes for children but also adults with short stature. Currently, River Island has over 250 stores worldwide.
Warwick Davis co-founded Little People with his wife and a group of individuals in 2012. Since its inception, the Little People Clothing Brand has become a registered charity and an essential resource for the little community’s social, medical, and financial needs in the U.K.
The brand is a team of moms, dads, aunts, and uncles. The little kids give the brand inspiration and celebrate with them. At Little People, the kids’ clothes are super cool, and it has fun kid’s clothes from size two to fourteen. The in-house team designs the clothes.
The brand utilizes quality fabrics that are wearable and unique, with prints and graphics that the manufacturers style differently. The brand has clothing for kids,’ and the clothing is known for its softness and durability and is made from the best organic cotton. Consumers purchase the clothes from the company’s website as it is an online store.
It also has a brick-and-mortar shop at the Giga Mall, Pakistan. The company also has clothes for adults with short stature.
Redbubble is a clothing brand in Melbourne, Australia, and started in 2006. It is a unique brand because it gives independent artists and designers a meaningful way to sell their innovations. Today, the brand connects over 700,000 artists and designers across the planet with many fans. Interested artists and designers open a Redbubble shop on the website and upload designs.
Consumers opt for the designs they love on a particular product. The designer or artist makes the product and gets paid while the consumer gets it. Redbubble allows consumers to get customized items, including clothing.
Redbubble also sells women, men, children, and short people clothing. It sells t-shirts, tops, dresses, hats, and much more. It ships clothing globally, and consumers can purchase the products from their website. Apart from clothing, the company sells gifts, accessories, wall art, stationery, and masks.
Suppose you are a short person worried about where to find an ideal cloth that fits well, you have a plethora of options to choose from on this page.