Last Updated on September 23, 2023 by Reiner Chase
Most of the cops wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from harmful radiation and to look stylish. The fashion of wearing sunglasses along with any uniform has become widespread, and it also makes a style statement person, especially somebody who is on a responsible post to protect society.
Jump To A Section
Reasons For Cops Wearing Sunglasses
Police officers wear sunglasses for several important reasons:
- Glare Reduction: Sunglasses help officers combat glare from sunlight, especially while driving or patrolling outdoors. This reduces eye strain and improves visibility, enhancing their ability to monitor their surroundings effectively.
- Eye Protection: Sunglasses offer protection from harmful UV rays, dust, debris, and other environmental hazards. This safeguards the officers’ eyes from potential injuries or long-term damage caused by exposure to the elements.
- Concealing Emotions: Sunglasses can hide officers’ facial expressions, making it challenging for individuals they interact with to discern their emotions. This neutrality can be advantageous in various law enforcement situations, helping maintain control and professionalism.
- Enhanced Focus: Sunglasses can aid in maintaining focus, especially in bright and distracting environments. This is crucial when officers need to concentrate on specific tasks or maintain vigilance in various conditions.
- Psychological Impact: The presence of sunglasses can convey authority and confidence, which can be helpful in certain law enforcement scenarios, such as traffic stops or crowd control. They contribute to the officers’ overall professional appearance.
- Undercover Operations: In undercover work, sunglasses help officers blend in with the crowd while providing a degree of anonymity and protection for their identity.
- Nighttime Use: Some law enforcement sunglasses are designed for low-light or nighttime use. They enhance visibility in challenging lighting conditions, such as during surveillance operations or while conducting searches.
- Uniformity and Branding: Sunglasses may be part of a police department’s uniform, ensuring a consistent and recognizable appearance for officers while on duty.
Should Cops Wear High-Quality Sunglasses?
Sun rays cause severe damage to the eyes. It can also result in side effects like macular degeneration, cataracts, etc. Choosing the right pair of sunglasses will help cops to protect their eyesight.
The high-quality sunglasses will also help cops to block 99 to 100% of UVB and UVA radiation. It is also vital to ensure that whatever frames you choose don’t stop their peripheral vision. Hence, they need to be smart enough to know where and when they need to don the cool shades.
They need to be cautious about some people saying that sunglasses will make their appearance more intimidating. However, it proved them with a tactical benefit by concealing their eye movements.
Why Do Cops Wear Dark Sunglasses?
When people do illegal activities, they want to hide them. They will avoid eye contact with cops to hide those expressions.
Cops wear dark sunglasses so that any criminal or those involved in illegal activities will not find out where the cop is looking. It will make the person panic that will help cops to know that there is something wrong in the situation.
Dark glasses are always helpful for the cops when they are on surveillance or for the protective details.
Choosing The Right Sunglasses for Cops
Choosing the right sunglasses for police officers is crucial, as they serve both functional and tactical purposes. Here are the key considerations when selecting sunglasses for law enforcement:
- UV Protection: Look for sunglasses with 100% UV protection (UV-A and UV-B) to shield officers’ eyes from harmful sun rays. This protection is vital for long hours spent outdoors.
- Lens Material: Opt for high-quality lens materials such as polycarbonate or glass, which are impact-resistant and durable. These lenses can withstand potential hazards and protect the eyes.
- Lens Tint: Consider the lens tint depending on the intended use. Neutral gray or green tints provide true color perception, making them suitable for general duty. Amber or brown tints enhance contrast and depth perception, which can be helpful in certain situations.
- Polarized Lenses: Polarized lenses reduce glare from reflective surfaces like water or glass. They are excellent for officers working around bright sunlight and reflective surfaces, such as roads and buildings.
- Frame Material: Choose frames made of durable materials like metal or high-quality plastic. They should be lightweight, comfortable for extended wear, and capable of withstanding physical activities.
- Fit and Comfort: Ensure a proper fit that doesn’t pinch or slide down the officer’s nose. Look for sunglasses with adjustable nose pads and temple tips for a secure fit.
- Lens Size and Coverage: Larger lens sizes offer more coverage and protection from peripheral light and wind. This is important for officers on motorcycles or exposed to windy conditions.
- Anti-Scratch and Anti-Fog Coating: Coatings that resist scratches and fogging are beneficial for maintaining clear vision in various weather conditions.
- Impact Resistance: Choose sunglasses that meet or exceed ANSI (American National Standards Institute) impact resistance standards. This ensures the glasses can withstand potential hazards.
- Interchangeable Lenses: Some sunglasses come with interchangeable lenses to adapt to different lighting conditions. This versatility is valuable for officers working in diverse environments.
- Anti-Reflective Coating: Anti-reflective coatings reduce glare from light sources behind the officer. This is particularly useful for nighttime or low-light operations.
- Compatibility with Headgear: Ensure the sunglasses can be comfortably worn with helmets, hats, or headsets, as needed in various law enforcement roles.
- Compliance with Department Regulations: Confirm that the chosen sunglasses comply with your police department’s uniform and equipment regulations.
- Brand and Model Reputation: Consider well-known brands and models with a reputation for quality and durability. They are more likely to meet the standards required for police work.
Types Of Sunglasses Worn By Cops
There is no specific style or brand of sunglasses limited for cops. Any sunglasses will work wonderfully for cops as long as the selected pair meet and deliver their needs. It is vital to ensure by cops that the chosen pair of sunglasses will provide the essentials that will assist the cops to do their duties competently and diligently.
The cops need to check the practicality and comfort features that will offer them better protection instead of adding problems to their duties.
Most of the cops opt for Oakley’s sunglasses while others swear by Ray-Ban Wayfarers. Cops don’t have any standard rule as to the type and brand of eyewear to be used as long as it ensures clear vision and comfort to them.
Cops need to choose the sunglasses according to the nature of the services they are performing and assurance to fulfill their needs. Choosing the right pair will help cops getting adequate protection, optimal vision, and better ocular health.
Here are some of the types of sunglasses that work best for the cops.
1. Peripheral Vision: It helps cops to see better while assessing a situation where they need to see all from right to left to know how and when to react. It is significant to wear when cops are dealing with multiple threats or suspects in many directions.
2. Polarization: Polarized lenses enhance clarity and reduce eye strain in bright light environments. It gives comfort and reduces stress in challenging duties. These lenses are an excellent choice to see everything cops need on their assignments.
3. Durability And Protection: Cops need to choose sunglasses that function for a longer time and are made with polycarbonate lenses and heavy-duty plastic frames. These types of sunglasses will stand up superior to the everyday rigors of cops’ duties.
Top Brands Of Sunglasses
Some cops opt for brands that give comfortable and clear vision. Let’s know in the given table about some of the top-notch brands of sunglasses that cops and general people would like to wear.
|S. No.||Top Brands Of Sunglasses||Main Features|
|1||Ray-Ban||Since its founding year in 1937, it has been the top choice of many people with its wayfarer sunglasses and high or classical styles.|
|2||Oakley||Oakley sunglasses are expensive because of the superior and premium qualities and the best of frames available.|
|3||American optical||This brand is nearly two centuries old, i.e., 1826, and since then it gives low priced sunglasses.The famous astronaut Neil Armstrong wore these sunglasses.|
|4||Persol||The meaning of the brand’s name is “for the sun” which completes its purpose|
It is very simple in look. It also gives qualities to protect you from harmful sun radiation.
|5||Oliver peoples||The Oliver peoples’ sunglasses are seen in Hollywood movies. -You can find these sunglasses in many Television series.|
|6||Mykita||This band very famous for producing hand-assembled sunglasses. Though the sunglasses are simple, some of the sunglasses cost $ 800.|
Q1. Which Type Of Sunglasses Should Cops Choose?
Ans: It does not matter what type of sunglasses cops should wear as long as they are protective, comfortable, and solve the purpose of wearing them.
Q2. Which Sunglasses Do Most Of The Cops Wear?
Ans: Most of the cops like to wear Oakley sunglasses or the Ray-Ban Warfares.
Q3. Why Do Many Cops Wear Dark Sunglasses?
Ans: Many cops wear reflective and dark sunglasses so that people will not know where they are looking. The subject questioned or traced will not know whether you are watching his face, hands, or the vehicle.
Q3. What Are The Benefits That Cops Have When They Wear Sunglasses?
Ans: The benefits of wearing sunglasses for cops are to protect their eyes from harmful sun rays, dust, wind, and glares.