If you’re searching for a new watch, the Gucci brand may be an option to choose from. Apart from purchasing a high-quality watch, you will require to know whether it is also waterproof. Gucci has been in the watch-making business since the 1930s. Their watches are high quality and durable, given the manufacturer’s best craftsmanship. Although Gucci watches come with the words ‘water-resistant, the absolute water-resistance of the watch may not be permanently guaranteed.
Gucci is a luxury brand that guarantees their watches to be an expensive choice to choose from. This article explores Gucci watches to determine whether they are water-resistant or it is just a marketing gimmick.
Water-resistant Gucci Watch’s Depth Rating
Gucci watches are the best designer timepieces, and they last longer than you can ever imagine. These watches also give the wearer a classy appearance.
The Gucci watch water resistance ability has been tested, and it is suitable to a water depth of up to 100 meters, approximately corresponding to a pressure of 10 bars. This means that the watch is quite waterproof but not completely water-resistant.
The water resistance testing of these watches complies with the ISO 22180 standard. The depth rating of these watches is given based on a depth test. The Gucci watch is placed in a pressurized compressor chamber during the test. The pressure of these chambers is based on the earth’s atmospheric pressure.
The watch is tested underwater pressure to evaluate its depth rating for a short time. One bar of pressure is equivalent to 10 meters. Gucci watches water-resistance of 100 meters is suitable for swimming, snorkeling, surfing, and other water sports.
Although you’re supposed to avoid immersion situations, you can still wear your Gucci watch while swimming, but you should not exceed the depth of 330 feet. For instance, diving with a Gucci watch on is not recommended. It will not be damaged if the watch is subjected to normal circumstances like a splash of water here and there. Too much exposure to water will damage your Gucci watch.
The more your Gucci watch ages, the more likely it will become less water-resistant. Age is crucial to consider in a Gucci watch’s water resistance ability. If you’ve had your watch for a while, chances of it getting damaged through water are higher than that of a new watch.
Care Tips Of Your Water-Resistant Gucci Watch
Gucci offers a two years warranty for each of their watches. Like many other manufacturers, Gucci advises the wearers of the water-resistant watches to take the watch to them once per year to test its water resistance with time.
It would be best not to take your Gucci watch to any unprofessional personnel because the unauthorized opening of the watch will invalidate your warranty rights.
To maintain the integrity of your Gucci watch, you should have it tested and serviced at a Gucci center once yearly.
Water-resistance on your Gucci watch is not permanent, and it depends on how you take care of your watch. Your water-resistant Gucci watch can also experience water damage when subjected to some extreme water situations. Below are tips that can guide you on how to take care of your water-resistant watch.
1. Do not engage in any water sports that require you to exceed 100 meters. The depth specified on the watch represents the results of tests done in a laboratory.
2. After swimming in salty water, immediately rinse your watch with fresh water. This is to prevent the buildup of salt and corrosion. Heavily chlorinated water can cause problems on the sensitive parts of the watch, like the seams and the gaskets.
3. It is not right to wear your watch in a sauna, hot tub, or hot shower. Heat can cause extreme expansion of the metal parts at a higher rate than rubber gaskets. The expansion causes openings that can allow water droplets to penetrate the watch, causing damage.
4. Temperature changes to your water-resistant Gucci watch are harsh, especially when sudden. Be careful not to jump into cold water then later in hot water while wearing your watch. In this case, condensation occurs and may damage the watch’s functionality.
5. Please do not press the buttons/pushers when swimming or bathing in a shower with your watch on. Doing this will create space for water to penetrate the watch.
6. In case the display glass or seal of your Gucci watch is broken. It should be taken for repair because the watch will no longer be water-resistant if you don’t repair the glass and the seal.
7. Batteries in your Gucci watch should be replaced at the Gucci service center whenever they are damaged. A professional should do this because the seal might be broken during the battery-changing process. If left unattended, your watch may no longer be guaranteed water-resistant.
8. Avoid direct contact with harsh detergents, perfumes, or any harsh chemicals. These products can alter the water resistance ability of your Gucci watch because some of them are corrosive.
9. While cleaning your watch, please use a soft brush to clean the water-resistant case. After brushing, rinse with clean water and never use cleaning agents on your Gucci watch. Later on, wipe down the watch with a soft cloth.
The Gucci watch’s ability to stay resistant to water decreases as the watch ages. The water-resistant seals are what prevent water from penetrating the watch. Therefore, you should consider taking your watch for pressure checking annually.
The seals should be replaced after every two or three years. The Gucci service center reconditions old water-resistant watches and installs new seals. After that, they test your watch to ensure it is functioning properly and still water-resistant.
What Makes A Gucci Watch Water Resistant?
Water-resistant Gucci watches are ruling the market in the present day. The watches are high quality and give you a classy appearance. The fact that these watches are water-resistant makes them more likable.
Several features make Gucci watches water-resistant. They include:
The water-resistant Gucci watch straps are made from leather and other types of high-quality skin. These materials are natural and protect your watch’s straps from absorbing moisture. The materials also keep the Gucci watch in shape.
The water-resistant cases are lined with a sealant in the form of a hardening liquid that helps keep water out of the watch. The case’s material also plays a big role because it is very thick. This material makes the case sturdy enough to withstand water pressure without getting the watch water penetrated in any possible way.
The material of the case is either titanium or stainless steel. Pure gold or stainless steel cases plated with gold are thick, which guarantees your Gucci watch is water-resistant. These materials ensure that the watch case is impervious to water, no matter the condition.
The pushers of these Gucci watches have gaskets that prevent water penetration.
The water-resistant Gucci watch has a screw-in case back instead of a pushing-in one. This helps in preventing water from getting through the watch-stem hole. When the case is screwed down, it forms a tight seal that water cannot penetrate through.
All these impressive features ensure that your Gucci watch is water-resistant. However, take note that Gucci watches are not fully waterproof.