A polo shirt, in the most basic sense of the word, is a type of men’s or boy’s shirt that usually has short sleeves and no collar. The term “polo” refers to the fact that these shirts are traditionally worn by people who play polo. They come in many different styles and colors, ranging from solid colors to plaids to stripes. Polo shirts are generally made out of cotton or polyester blends for comfort and easy care.
The History Behind The Polo Shirt:
It was originally created as a garment for British soldiers stationed in India during colonial rule at what is now known as Madras (the modern city). It became popular among Westerners living there too because it was lightweight and comfortable to withstand the heat.
The Beginning Of A Polo Shirt Brand:
Ralph Lauren was born in 1939, and at age 15 he sold his first dress shirt to one of his teachers for $50. He then created what would become known as Ralph Lauren’s original preppy style: The polo shirt that played with everything from color combinations to plaid patterns on ties and sweaters. It wasn’t until 1972 that Ralph came out with the iconic blue-and-white striped rugby shirt, which is now arguably their most popular item. Polo shirts were originally just called “the country club uniform” by girls who wanted them because they looked like the boys’ uniforms but had different colors – Ralph’s daughter went on television wearing a Polo TShirt and the name stuck.
The Polo Shirt Today: Ralph Lauren has gone through a number of different eras, from their preppy beginnings to the “Ralph Loves New York” campaign in 2005 featuring actor Adrian Grenier who would go on to start his own clothing line (Jeremy Scott) and now designing for women’s collections with new A-list star Emma Stone as its face. Through it all, they’ve kept polo shirts at the center of their brand – offering them in every iteration from classic white cotton versions to graphic prints that are popular among teens today, or printed silk options perfect for evening events.”
Features Of A Polo Shirt
* The most important feature of a Polo shirt is the collar. It usually has button-up, short-sleeved or long sleeves and it can be either preppy plaid patterned shirts or solid colors to match formal wear for semi-formal occasions.”
* “The other very popular style of the polo shirt is what’s called an ‘Athletic Fit.’ These are shorter in length and have wider armholes that make them great to use as undershirts during sports such as golfing, sailing, tennis, etc. They come with two buttons on each side (rather than one) so they don’t ride up when you’re moving around doing physical activity!
* The polo shirt is a type of outerwear that was originally designed for sports, but has become an essential part of any man’s wardrobe and can be worn as formal attire or casual wear.”
* A short-sleeve button-up shirt with the collar turned up, usually found in a variety of plaids and stripes (sometimes called “polo shirts”), traditionally made from cotton material with two chest pockets.”
* The sleek design and simple lines make it perfect for layering under sweaters without compromising its look. * It also looks good tucked into pants during winter to add some extra warmth around the waistline!”
Types Of Polo Shirt
* “There are many different types of polo shirts, but the most popular styles today include cotton and silk.
– Cotton is a very traditional fabric that has been used for centuries as it’s both durable and comfortable. It can be found in all sorts of colors, prints or patterns with varying degrees of thicknesses.”
* Silk was originally reserved only for royalty because they were expensive to make; however today you’ll find them made into sporty looking tops where their luxurious feel combined with high-performance properties will not disappoint even the most demanding athletes!”
Top Brands Of Polo Shirt In The USA
- Polo Ralph Lauren”
- “Club Monaco”
Their styles are recognizable by the signature embroidered logo on the chest. Here are some more brands to follow for Polo:
* “Gap Inc. with a popular line of polos that features their iconic, vertical stripe pattern and come in many different colors (white, navy blue, sky blue) as well as prints such as bright pink or floral print.”
* Bellfield: A British lifestyle brand which has become famous for its high-quality cotton shirts. They use a variety of fabrics to create an array of designs from plain stripes to bold geometric patterns.”
Some brands even offer custom embroidery options so you can put your own personal touch or custom-designed logo on your shirt.
What Is The Difference Between A Shirt And A Polo Shirt?
The main differences between a shirt vs polo shirt are that the polo shirt is a short-sleeve button-up shirt with the collar turned up.
Is Polo T-Shirt Formal?
Yes, in some states and countries is, polo shirts are considered formal attire or casual wear.
Are Polo Shirts In Fashion?
It is a timeless classic that never goes out of style!
What Colors Can Be Found On A Polo Shirt?
You will typically find plaids and stripes of different color combos to make up the pattern for your polo shirt. It is usually made from cotton material with two chest pockets.” Some popular colors in polo are – black, navy blue, light blue/sky blue.”
Is Polo Shirts In Style?
Polo shirts are a timeless classic that never goes out of trend.
What Is The Difference Between Polo And Golf Shirt?
A polo has buttons on the collar whereas a golf shirt does not have any buttoning on its collar. A golf shirt also tends to be much more casual wear than an everyday apparel item like what you would find with your standard polo.”
How Do I Wash My Polo Shirt?
You want to make sure you follow these steps: Turn garment inside out; Machine or hand-wash cold water with gentle detergent; Dry flat away from direct heat before wearing again.