Most Nike shoes are made outside The United States, but the production spreads in 41 countries. The leading manufacturers of the boots are China and Vietnam, each accounting for more than thirty percent of the shoes made worldwide. Indonesia closely follows with over 20% of the production happening there. Also, Thailand accounts for 6% of the output, and the rest spreads among the other countries. Interestingly, Nike doesn’t own production factories. They contract factories that reach their threshold to produce Nike equipment and clothing.
Where Are Most Nike Shoes Produced?
The main production stations for Nike shoes are China and Vietnam. China was the primary producer that produced half of Nike shoes for the past years. In a recent announcement, Nike is ditching China for Vietnam, which is currently making 51% of the production, surpassing China which is at 35%. Besides, Nike has a map online that shows you how to track the Nike shoe’s production. You can track your boots from the suppliers to finished goods. Nike doesn’t own any factories, and it subcontracts illegible factories that can produce Nike types of equipment and clothing. There are about 785 factories that have a million workers that make half-million various products for Nike.
This article expounds on how Nike shoes are made, the materials they are made of, how to detect a fake Nike shoe, and Nike manufacturing strategy that is very interesting, just like getting to know the Nike shoes you wear better.
Nike Shoe Making Procedure
The shoe production follows a simultaneous step that results in the great shoe you wear today. Below are the steps followed in making the Nike shoes:
1. For the shoe to be made, the shoemaker cuts all the materials in unique shapes and forms they should be in.
2. The upper part of the shoe is then sewn together on the upper part of the sole. The sole is prepared separately from the upper part.
3. They then prepare the attachment to the upper and the sole, a process known as lasting.
4. The final part is the attachment of the upper and the sole to its final form.
5. Any finishing touches are made, and the necessary accessories are attached. This process is called Treeing.
How Are Nike Shoes Made?
Almost all the sports shoe wear is cemented, which takes us to how the Nike shoe is made. The majority of Nike shoes are made of the Cold cement process. What is shoe cement? Shoe cement consists of PU glue! The shoe cement is water-based and is the new way of constructing a shoe.
The cold cement process acknowledges the utilization of modern lightweight foam, plastic and mesh materials for the required low temperatures for bonding the upper part of the shoe to the sole. When connecting two different parts of the shoe, Nike makes all its performing shoes in this cold cement process.
Nike’s Manufacturing Strategy
Primarily, Nike outsources its manufacturing process. The company’s apparel and manufacturing process cover approximately 96% of Nike’s revenues. Nike has discovered a considerable cost advantage in outsourcing its production process to independent contractors.
The Company’s supply chain sources most of the raw materials in the producing countries by independent contractors. Nike is one of the pioneers in outsourcing manufacturing from other countries. Nike sources its products from 525 factories, which employ one million people.
The factories are owned by renowned multinational individuals with well-established factories in their own right.
Importance of Outsourcing Manufacturing of the Nike-Owned Trademarks, Apparel, and Shoes by Independent Contractors in Host Countries
1. It is cost-effective.
2. Expands the manufacturing and producing processes.
3. Creation of employment.
4. Production of high-quality Nike-owned products to maintain partnerships.
The success and growth of Nike are due to the production of high-quality products that entices a consumer to be back for more. Who doesn’t love quality and value for your money?
How To Know Fake Nike Shoes
Despite maintaining the originality and keeping their trademarking of the Nike-owned products, there are loopholes and some individuals produce Nike products. They mostly do so to ride on the Nike brand name and make sales. Below is how you will know fake Nike shoes:
Always check the seller you are purchasing from. Make sure it is an authorized Nike website. For online stores, you can check the product reviews by different individuals.
Always compare the prices of the shoes on the Nike website. Fake Nikes are way cheaper than the original it is a red flag if the cost of the Nike shoe is 50% low priced than the actual price, then this is an eye-opener that the price is ridiculous; therefore, the shoes are unauthentic.
Check the Purchase box. Most original Nike shoes are well labeled and have a good style. They come in brown, red, and even orange packages. The side of the box should have essential information about the Nike shoe, which includes size, serial number, barcode, and style. Most fake Nike shoes have not hacked the serial number imprints for the original Nike shoes.
1. Always check the weight of your Nike shoes. Authentic Nike shoes are lightweight, and the fake ones are heavier than the original Nike shoes. Feel the shoes to ascertain the authenticity.
2. Always check the style of your Nike shoes. It is recommended you do profound research on the type of Nike shoe you want. Familiarize yourself with the Nike shoe you want. Fake Nike shoe producers try to mimic, but they are still trying to figure out the unique style of Nike shoes.
3. It would help if you looked for minuscule details of the Nike shoes like the logo. The font size of the writings and type should be the same as those in the original shoe sizes.
4. Look at the upper and soles of the Nike shoe. The Nike’s upper and soles are glued together using particular glue, while the fake Nike shoes are mostly stitched together. They find the glue expensive, and since their counterfeit products are half-priced, they prefer using a cheap stitching method or even cheap glue to stitch the shoes up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where Did Nike Initially Manufacture Their Shoes?
Nike has often shifted to pursue the country that suits what it wants. The Nike factories were in Japan but then moved to cheaper labor. It was outsourcing from Taiwan, China, and South Korea. Siting the economic development of these countries, Nike shifted to China, Vietnam, and Indonesia.
Where Do The Materials Used To Make The Nike Shoes Come From?
Nike materials, including cotton, are from India, Turkey, China, and the United States of America.
Nike is among the top leading producers of shoes and apparel brands. It has existed for decades, making it timeless, thanks to its high-quality products. Nike outsources its manufacturing process mainly in China and Vietnam. Nike is a pioneer of the outsourcing strategy, and if it has lasted them this long, then it is an epic strategy for running a vast manufacturing business. Nike-owned products are trademarked even though they outsource the manufacturing process, making it more manageable. Nike exists and thrives in 41 countries, making it the to-go brand to buy your every day sneakers.