Last Updated on January 10, 2022 by
You’ve been a Planet Fitness member for a while, but now, you want out. It seems like the process isn’t as straightforward as you thought, so you go online to get answers. Then, you end up here, where we respond to your questions in depth and breadth.
To cancel your Plan Fitness membership, you should first understand the cancellation policy of your specific club. To do that, contact them using their details, which you can find in the billing transactions.
Many clubs will require you to send a letter requesting the cancellation. However, others will appear in the location and cancel in person. To clarify, you can talk to the Member Services Department (MSD), which is always open Monday through Friday, starting 9 AM to 6 PM (EST). When you inquire with them, they will respond as soon as possible.
For that information and more, check out the FAQ section of Planet Fitness using this link.
Does Planet Fitness Charge A Cancellation Fee?
Yes, but the devil is in the details. Simply put, the amount you pay depends on the nature of your membership.
If you signed up on a 12-month commitment and want to cancel within the first year, you’ll pay $58 as the cancellation fee. As per policy, you are technically going out of the agreement you had made. Since Planet Fitness will now miss your payments for the rest of the agreed period, they charge you that amount.
But, if you have been a member for over 12 months and haven’t signed a commitment, Planet Fitness will not charge your exit.
This article will guide you on canceling your Planet Fitness membership. We understand that it can be frustrating, which is why we’ll give you a series of steps and take the weight of your choice. Then, we’ll look at related questions before we let you go to complete the cancellation.
Now, let’s strike off this gym partner!
Canceling Planet Fitness Club Membership [A Detailed Explanation]
Planet Fitness doesn’t make things easy for you when you want to abandon their ship. But, to take the blame off of them, many professional gyms do the same.
Still, it is possible, and you’ll only be required to be patient and suffer slight inconveniences. And, when you’ve skipped over the contract-related hoops, you’ll be as far from Planet Fitness as East is from the West.
Without further ado, here are the steps you should follow:
Know What Your Contract (Or No Contract) Agreement Holds
If you signed a contract membership, you need to read it and look for the cancellation policy. Planet Fitness specifies it clearly, so it shouldn’t be hard to find.
But, what if you signed a no-contract membership? Well, aside from that, you also said yes to the terms and conditions. If you read between those lines, you will see how you can go through the cancellation and the situations when Planet Fitness can waive the fees involved.
Understand If The Contract Is Up Or Still Active
If your contract is up, that means your agreement with Planet Fitness has been invalidated. In such a situation, it may be easy to cancel without being charged a cent.
But, if you have an active contract with over five months left, it may be costly for you to get out. That’s because Planet Fitness expects to bill you five more times, but you don’t want that to happen. To cut off your relationship, you may need to pay the heartbreak fee. As you’ve seen in the kicker, it could cost you upwards of $58.
So, we advise that you wait until the contract is up. That way, the process will be smooth sailing for you.
Know Your Billing Cycle
In the world of utility bills, the billing cycle is the most commonly misunderstood concept. Usually, you may have to cancel a monthly contract on or before the 10th day of the month. A week later (17th), your service provider will be working on payment processing. So, if you decide to cancel later than the 10th, you could be charged an extra month.
What about an annual contract? Well, such an agreement requires that you cancel on or before the 25th of that month.
So, you need to know the billing cycle to cancel your Planet Fitness membership early. If not, the people at the Member Services department will make you pay the contract out in full.
Waive The Fees If You Can
You have your reasons for canceling your Planet Fitness Membership. It could be that you’re injured or you’ve moved out of state.
1. If your membership termination is related to an injury, get a doctor’s note confirming that you are not in a position to attend the gym. In the letter, let the physician indicate how long you will be out or if you won’t be able to go back.
2. If you’re moving out of state, let your employer write a particular letter, like a relocation letter. Then, print out maps of the new place you’re moving into to communicate the genuineness of your application. The info will help Planet Fitness expedite the process and save on fees.
If you’re neither injured nor relocating, prepare your checking account because Planet Fitness will charge a cancellation fee.
Finally, Cancel The Flipping Planet Fitness Membership
Now, you’ve already done your homework, and you know what to expect from the people at Planet Fitness. We will look at both methods you can use to finalize the process – doing it in person or by mail.
Terminating The Contract Physically (Or In Person)
1. First, call the MSD and confirm the times they open. We already mention that they operate Monday through Friday between 9 AM and 6 PM, so go to the next step.
2. Book an appointment and state clearly that you want to meet up and process the contract cancellation.
3. Arrive early at the office and talk to the representative. If you have any supporting documents, feel free to tag them along. That way, you won’t need to go back and come again another day.
4. If you can, give the representative a written note showing that you want to cancel. That will prove that you actually did it.
5. Once the Planet Fitness employee completes the cancellation, ask them to give it to you in writing. That way, you will have proof that may come in handy if Planet Fitness bills your checking account.
6. If you need to make any payments, do so as soon as possible. After settling any outstanding balances, confirm with your bank or credit card issuer that you don’t want to be billed in the future.
7. Then, get the contact details of a Planet Fitness employee. If anything happens that you don’t understand, you will know who to call.
8. Finally, keep checking your bank statements and credit cards. If everything went well, you shouldn’t see any charges related to Planet Fitness. But, if they bill you, talk to your contact person and explain the situation.
9. If the symptoms persist, go back to the office and show them proof that you canceled the membership and that the billing is wrong.
Terminating The Contract By Mail (An Official Letter)
Certified letters are the best, and they will save you the hassle of having to appear at the office.
1. First, buy the certified mail postage online or at a nearby post office. As you do that, ensure you choose physical delivery. That way, someone at Planet Fitness will confirm the letter as received, and you’ll get a signature back.
2. Write your letter and spell out your subject as membership cancellation. Between the lines, note your personal information and any details that Planet Fitness assigned to you when you joined.
As you prepare the letter, request that Planet Fitness send you a cancellation notice in writing. Also, tell them to call and confirm that when the termination is successful.
3. Post the letter. Since it is certified mail, it will reach the desk of a Planet Fitness employee and get a return signature.
4. If the notice doesn’t come from the gym, call them a week after you’ve sent the letter. Raise your case regarding the mail sent and explain the specific details.
5. If they still apply charges, you may have to go in person and clarify. Then, they will make the refunds and ascertain that your membership is genuinely canceled.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Cancel My Planet Fitness Subscription Online?
The gym requires that you either visit their Membership Services Department or write a letter. They don’t make it that easy; otherwise, you wouldn’t have been here.
What Reasons Can I Give For Cancelling My Planet Fitness Membership?
If you’re asked why you want to quit the gym, here are some of the things you can say:
You haven’t been going as much. Most people find themselves paying for services they seldom or never use, including gym fees. So, it is okay to say that you don’t work out as much, and now, you want out.
You’ve found cheaper solutions, like a public gym. Professional fitness membership isn’t easy on the pockets. Whether it is LA Fitness or Planet Fitness, you will pay multiple fees and even extra to gain access to particular facilities.
So, if a cheaper option availed itself, you have enough reason to opt out of your premium membership at the club. Then, get yourself some gym equipment and start your at-home or in-public fitness journey.
To help, here are links to some gym equipment that you can buy on Amazon:
1. Yes4all adjustable dumbbells (52.5 lbs. weights) (single)
2. DREAM&GLAMOUR jump rope for fitness for kids and adults
3. Amazon Basics extra-thick gym mat with carrying strap
You want to save more time and gas. After three months of your active membership, you realize that you’re spending too much gas and time getting to the club. That’s enough reason to want to quit, so do it. You’ll be able to save if you do your training at home.
How Long Does It Take To Cancel Planet Fitness Membership?
If you cancel your membership on or before the 10th, it should be effective the same month. That means you won’t be charged for the next month, that is, after the 11th of the same month. Confirmation should come within a week of cancellation, so seven days max.
But, because of corporate red tape, you may wait more than a week before Planet Fitness strikes your name off their register.
Getting Planet Fitness off your chest will need either a letter or an in-person visit. There are no online or quick steps to follow, so be ready to be inconvenienced. In the end, however, the process will finish, thanks to Planet Fitness’s corporate discipline and impeccable reputation.
As we’ve mentioned, get a waiver for the cancellation fee if you can. But if that doesn’t pull through, prepare your checking account because a $58 charge will appear soon.
And that was everything you needed to know!
If you found value in the article, be sure to share it with your friends at the gym. The info will prove helpful when they feel like dropping Planet Fitness and pursuing other clubs.
Then, let us know what you think about the cancellation process. Maybe, Planet Fitness will read this and make it easy for anyone who wants to cancel their membership.
Now, before you do something else, see these related topics that will surely raise your eyebrows:
1. Does Planet Fitness have showers at the gym? good things about showering after the gym at Planet Fitness
2. The complete guide to 8 of the best compression shirts | all you need to know
3. Can men join Curves? If you had to make a choice, which type of membership would you go for?
4. Can guys wear yoga pants in public?
5. What is the Planet Fitness lunk alarm?
Adios for now, but I’ll see you in the next article