Last Updated on September 3, 2022 by Oscar O. Paquin
We often get asked, Are hair toppers natural looking? The short answer to this question is yes; the long answer involves some details we want to share here in this article. Let’s begin by explaining precisely what hair toppers are and how they are used today. Hair toppers feature all shapes and sizes, so you must know just what they can do before you decide if they will work for your personal needs or not.
What Are Hair Toppers and Who Can Use Them?
Hair toppers are small pieces of hair that attach to your head to make it appear like you have more hair. The pieces can be attached with clips, glue, and tape. People wear these as a means of restoration and cosmetics.
They can be an effective way to get thicker hair, cover bald spots or thinning spots on the scalp, or improve the overall appearance of the head.
Who are hair toppers for? Hair toppers are not only for people who have thinning hair. There are many reasons someone might use them: they may want their hair to look fuller so they don’t feel like people can see their scalp. They may also want to cover up patchy bald spots or areas where their hair is thinning, or they may wish for a new hairstyle without committing to doing anything permanent, like cutting off all their hair.
The Best practice of Wearing Hair Toppers and Look Natural
Hair toppers are typically made of natural human hair attached to a net. These nets help to secure the hair in place.
Different lengths and colors can be chosen for the product’s final look. Typically, the color matches a person’s natural hair color, and you will find that black hairs are more common. While there is a wide variety of hairstyles and colors, you will find that longer styles with a bang area work well for this type of accessory.
It also works best when it has lighter or less dramatic colors. You want your topper to make your appearance seem fuller but not out of place. The top layer of the head needs coverage, so it does not show through. The advantage is that it looks like your head was just given an extra boost!
You can use a wig comb to style your new hairdo as desired. There are many types of fibers on the market today. You may have seen products advertised as Made from 100% Remy Human Hair. But what does that mean?
Remy’s hair is collected from donors with cuticles intact (unlike non-Remy hair). These donors must meet strict guidelines before they are allowed to donate their locks:
- They cannot use artificial coloring or treatment on their tresses during the last three months before donating them.
- They also cannot dye their locks within 12 weeks of being shorn (most companies stipulate six months).
The Hair Topper Bases
Hair toppers are best for when you are going bald, and they can add a little more thickness, length, and volume to your hair. They will not last forever, but they give you the flexibility to change your look without cutting your hair.
With the proper care, hair toppers will look natural and blend with your hair. To make it look more natural, take care of it like your hair by using heat protection products and brushing it daily.
Types of Hair Topper Bases
There are two types of hair topper bases: One is a wire mesh covered in natural human hair. The other is made of synthetic materials and can be remolded for a custom fit. Though both work similarly by being placed on the head and secured with clamps, each type has pros and cons.
For instance, because the hair topper base needs to be shaped individually for each person’s head, it takes more time than putting on a ready-made wig. On the other hand, this makes it possible to get an exact fit and ensures no hairs will show from beneath the toupee when worn.
In addition, people who have sensitive skin may prefer this option because they do not need adhesive tape or glue to attach it like they would with other wigs.
Tips for Finding the Right Base That Looks Natural
Hair toppers are typically made of human hair or synthetic hair, but if you are going for a very natural look and would prefer your topper to stand out, there are some things you can do:
- Find a style that matches your hair’s texture with a color close to your natural color.
- Be mindful of any stray hairs: these will be much more noticeable on top of sparse hair than down the length of your head.
- You may also want to find styles that barely cover an area without touching other places so it doesn’t look like something’s missing.
- Finally, choose synthetic bases instead of human-hair bases if you’re going for this blended-in effect!
Synthetic hair is often found in the same colors as human hair and at about the same price point, so there isn’t anything wrong with using it when you’re trying to go for that undetectable hairdo. It won’t feel quite as nice against your scalp since synthetic fibers are usually stiffer than their human counterparts, but most people don’t notice the difference unless they’ve tried both types before.
The best thing about synthetic hair is that even though it’s stiffer, it still has enough volume because its strands are thinner. If you observe these tips, you should have great-looking hair no matter your style!
How to Wear a Hair Topper Daily and Look Natural
Putting a hair topper on your head daily can be done in many ways. Depending on the type of hair topper you have, the method you choose may differ, but here are ideas to get you started:
- Wash and dry your hair first. Don’t bother styling it yet – the back of the head will look weird with the artificial extension.
- Carefully align your hair topper as close as possible to where it should go and secure it by tucking it behind the rest of your hair or pinning it down.
- Use bobby pins, clips, elastics, and headbands (sometimes, these items are included with the purchase)!
- Give the topper the finishing touches!
How to Care for Your Hair System in Between Wearings
- Start by finding the spot on your head where you will place the hair topper.
- Rub a little of your favorite hair pomade or wax onto the area so that it won’t stick when you put it in place.
- Next, tear open the package and use your fingers to shake out the locks of hair onto a wig stand, mannequin head, or pillowcase.
- Separate one lock of hair at a time and comb each strand until it is straight down so that they are not tangled together.
- It is easier if you wear gloves while doing this as they protect your hands from tangles and make things go more smoothly.
The Bottom Line
Hair toppers are a good option for anyone ready to drastically change their look or put some serious time into styling their hair. They are typically made from natural human hair or heat-resistant fibers like wool or synthetic weaves that allow you to add more hair temporarily.
The only way to get around the natural-looking problem for people with smaller parts would be a lace front wig with part-specific layers that mimic natural hair. In terms of thickness and texture, they can range from subtle teasing at the roots to braids and knots atop the head.
Reference 1: https://www.uniwigs.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hair-toppers.html
Reference 2: https://www.amazon.com/UniWigs-Thinning-Natural-Looking-natural/dp/B07T65SGBY?th=1