Last Updated on July 31, 2022 by Oscar O. Paquin
Fashion style has changed drastically over the past few decades, but one thing remains: some people like to stand out, while others prefer to keep their heads down and blend in with the crowd. Regardless of the side of fashion you fall on, grunge-style clothing of the 1990s has become extremely popular lately. You don’t have to be 16 years old and still living with your parents to pull off this look!
What is a Grunge Dressing Style?
The grunge style is all about feeling comfortable and looking effortless. It’s about mixing different pieces to create an extensive and unique look. The key to securing the grunge style is to mix tomboyish pieces with more feminine items.
Think ripped jeans, flannel shirts, and Converse sneakers paired with lace dresses or skirts. Mix masculine elements like leather jackets and aviator sunglasses with more girly attire like flowy tops, layered necklaces, or chunky jewelry.
To achieve this style, you’ll need to be willing to spend some time browsing through racks of clothes at vintage stores or secondhand shops for that perfect item that will work for your new wardrobe.
The most critical element of the grunge look is authenticity; it can’t just be something you bought from a store; it has to come from your heart!
The 10 Must-Have Grunge Clothing Pieces
Regardless of whether you are a college babe or a modern mom, you must have the following clothing pieces if you desire to go the grunge style way:
- Flannel shirts.
- Baggy jeans.
- T-shirts with band logos.
- Oversized sweaters.
- Doc Martens.
- Jean jackets.
- Concert tees.
- Plaid skirts.
- Khaki pants.
- Combat or black leather boots, dark nail polish, Black lipstick, and dark eyeliners.
A Guide to Dressing in a Grunge Style: Step-by-Step
Step 1: Choose Your Grunge Clothing Items
When you think of grunge fashion, a few essential items probably come to mind: flannel shirts, ripped jeans, Doc Martens, and chunky sweaters. But you have lots of other options available.
You can mix and match different pieces to create your unique grunge style. Here are ideas to get you started:
- Lose the dress shoes in favor of slippers or boots.
- Tuck the shirt into the skirt or shorts instead of wearing it out.
- Go with an oversize shirt that’s tucked into some high-waisted jeans.
- Try a suit jacket overtop a turtleneck sweater and a blazer combo.
Step 2: Know Where to Wear It
While the grunge style can be adapted to any clothing, there are certain places where it works best. For example, you wouldn’t wear grunge clothing to a formal event or business meeting. However, it’s perfect for days spent hanging out with friends, concerts, or running errands.
When in doubt, just ask yourself if the outfit looks like something a 90s grunge rocker would wear. If so, then you’re good to go!
Step 3: Find the Confidence
Now that you have the proper clothing, it’s time to find the confidence to rock your new look. This may seem the most challenging part, but it will be a breeze once you start. Here are a few tips:
- Start by wearing your grunge clothes around your house. Get used to the way they feel and how you look in them.
- Find a friend or family member who is also into grunge fashion and go out together.
- Check out some grunge fashion blogs or Instagram accounts for inspiration on how to style your clothes.
- Most importantly, just be yourself! The best way to feel confident in any situation is to be yourself.
Step 4: Add Some Accessories
If you want to go for a grungier look, add some accessories. Boots are always a good choice; ripped tights or fishnets can add an edgy touch. Layer necklaces of different lengths, or try wearing a choker.
If you have any piercings, now is the time to show them off! Don’t forget about hats – beanies and fedoras are perfect for this style. Don’t hesitate to experiment with new looks by adding these items to your outfit. It’s a great way to spice up your wardrobe!
Step 5: Start Being Grungy
You can’t wake up and decide to be grungy. It takes time, effort, and a lot of practice. Start by wearing comfortable clothes that you don’t care about. That way, if you get them dirty, it won’t matter.
Once you have the right attitude, the rest will fall into place. Next, start changing your hairstyle. There are many ways to create a grunge look with your hair, including dyeing it black or brown and giving yourself choppy layers.
Finally, dress in clothes that aren’t too tight or too revealing; wear baggy pants or jeans and t-shirts without any logos.
How to Style Your Hair for a Grunge Look
You’ll want to style your hair in a messy, bedhead way for a grunge look. Start by applying some mousse or gel to your damp hair, then scrunch it up with your hands. Once it’s dry, you can use a straightener or curling iron to create random waves and add texture.
Don’t worry about making everything perfect; the goal is to look like you just rolled out of bed! To finish, mess up your hair with your fingers and spray on some hairspray. You might also want to add some leftover makeup from the previous night for an extra edgy touch.
Cute Grunge Styles for Moms
Are you a mom who wants to create a grunge style? You can do it! With the proper clothing, you can create a stylish and edgy look. Here are some tips for making your unique grunge style:
- Tuck in your shirt and wear a tank top or crop top under your button-down or collared shirt.
- Wear dark colors like black, navy blue, dark green, brown, gray, or any other color in the range of dark colors.
- Wear ripped jeans or skinny jeans to make your outfit more casual.
- Don’t forget about sneakers; they’re great for creating a casual yet trendy look perfect for everyday wear.
Grunge Style for a College Babe
You must’ve seen those girls on campus with ripped jeans, oversized flannels, and Doc Martens. They look fantastic, like they just rolled out of bed in a terrific, effortless way. Here are some tips if you’re wondering how to get that grunge style for yourself.
- Start with the basics: ripped jeans, flannel shirts, and Doc Martens. These are the essential pieces for any grunge outfit. Once you have these items, you can experiment with different ways to wear them. For example, try layering your flannel over a t-shirt or under a dress.
- Now get creative with the clothes you’re wearing! To make a grunge outfit, all you need are dark colors that are usually too dressy for everyday wear (e.g., black and navy blue). Add tattered jeans or leggings and boots; try mixing layers such as t-shirts under sweaters; experiment with accessories such as chains, studded belts, combat boots, ripped denim jackets, and many bracelets.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, go for a layered look that includes ripped-up jeans over dresses, tights (or leggings), skirts, or shorts, all in different styles and fabrics.
Try mixing and matching different pieces until you find what works for you.
The Bottom Line
While the grunge style is not as popular as it was in the early 1990s, it has come back in recent years. Keeping a few things in mind to create a grunge style with your clothing would be cool. First, comfort is vital. This means you should choose clothes that are comfortable and easy to wear. Second, layering is essential. You’ll want to layer different pieces of clothing to create an exciting and unique look.
References 1: https://www.belletag.com/fashion/style-guide/grunge-style-tips
Reference 2: https://www.wikihow-fun.com/Dress-Grunge